TEVC Mens Cup Shield Dreams Dashed

The Mens Round 2 of the Shield took place in Plymouth  on 11th January. TEVC were a little unfortunate in having drawn the reigning champions, Flaming Six Aces, in the first round of the cup proper and now Horndean, last year’s runners up in the Shield.


Rear Line: Toby French, Andy Frith, James Bernardi, Sam Thompson and Luke French

Front Line: Rees Warren, Dave Fenech and Tony Clarke

 The match started evenly with Horndean service errors helping TEVC to a 6-8 lead by the first technical. There then started a great battle amongst the middle players particularly James against Horndean’s excellent M Russell (No. 10). The set was tight up to 17–17 when good serving from Toby took TEVC to 21-17 lead. TEVC were then ahead 18-22 when Horndean  took a run of 6 points. TEVC had opportunities but couldn’t put the ball on the floor and eventually lost the set 25-23.

TEVC came out fighting in the second set racing to an early lead of 4-1 forcing a Horndean time out. However, the proverbial wheels then came off the wagon following the first technical (7-8) as TEVC lost the set badly 25-15. This was hugely disappointing as TEVC had shown in the first set they could complete well against a very good Horndean side but passing and hitting errors made Horndean’s job far too easy.

Set 3 started as the 2nd had finished with Horndean taking a commanding leads of 8-3 and then 16-8. TEVC seemed well and truly beaten but then maybe relaxed and started to play good volleyball again fighting back strongly to 18-13. TEVC continues to have the edge in the set and had opportunities to win a remarkable set but the finishing line came too quickly and Horndean won the set 25-21, closing out the match 3-0.

The result was a major disappointment as the club had beaten Horndean twice last year in the league. However, “hats off” to a good Horndean side that played well. There’s always next year lads!


Leave a Reply

If you have a log in please use the above form, if not please log in using Facebook